Monday, May 2, 2011

Strategy of design

Can you manufacture design strategy? IDEO would say yes, I believe inventors would more likely say no. Why? Because IDEO is out to sell a service of ideas, while an inventor is out to sell an idea as a service. I believe in the latter of the two thoughts.

I believe that a good design strategy is born from free, unrestricted inspiration. I have a place in my mind for inventors really paving the way for designers. on the spectrum of the Industrial design field we have two schools of thought or areas. On one side we have stylers, meaning people with the ability to take any current technologies or products and them bring them together through form and application. On the other hand you have inventors, individuals creating new technologies, reinterpreting the human experience into something different. I believe that the inventor is sparked, agitated, fueled by life, trial and error, and most importantly by their experiences.

My design strategy is to live, and to react to situations that cause the thoughts of change and reinterpretation in our everyday lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment